The danger of online payment is the same as the one in the shop. Theft of money, copy of your credit card credential, theft of your codes …, the use of common sense is the same everywhere. Here are the most important points to check…
Precautions to take before the transaction
- Make the use of a Virtual Privat Network (VPN)
- Make the use of PayPal (Type of e-bank)
- Have several “Protected” cards (credit limited or prepaid)
- Ensure that your computer is equipped with an active and up-to-date anti-virus and a firewall.
- Don’t make payment via mobile phone because they are often less secure than your computer.
The information generally requested
- The name on the card
- The number of the bank card
- The date of validity
- The cryptogram (last 3 digits printed on the back of your card)
- And an internet password (if protected by 3DSecure) or a code sent by SMS.
- WARNING: The PIN code is never used on the Internet. It is used only for money withdrawals from ATM, the purchase of gasoline and physical payments in shops.
The points of vigilance during the transaction
- Be sure to be on a secure page. You can check it by looking at the site address.
It should have an “s” behind http (https: // the-site-name) and you should see a small padlock on your browser.
- On merchant sites, avoid saving your card details for the next time.
- Keep a copy of the payment receipt or screenshots (indicating the order number, the merchant’s contact details and the amount of the transaction). This is useful in case of complaint or litigation.
- Check your statements and make oppositions if necessary.
(Photos : CC0 @ pexels.com)